I feel a world better than I did this afternoon. I think that sometimes the whole working from home thing is really hard and sometimes I get into a funk because I’m surrounded by a mess that I constantly feel I need to clean up. This afternoon I grabbed the munchkin and she chose the library over the park and we had a really good time there. Then we got home and had an awesome dinner.
Beef & Veggie Stir-Fry
This is adapted from a recipe in Parents magazine. I decided to cook the meat in the crock-pot because the broccoli beef recipe I’ve done in the past was that way and the meat was amazingly tender plus the munchkin inhaled it. Well, it worked again.
* 1 lb lean beef strips
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp ground ginger (the recipe called for more but I’m not a huge fan of ginger)
* 2 tbsp soy sauce
* 2 tbsp water
* 1 tbsp rice-wine vinegar
* few shakes of minced onion (called for 1 tsp onion powder which I didn’t have)
* 3/4 tsp garlic powder (called for 1/2 but again, I cut out ginger)
* 1 tsp cornstarch
* 2 stalks of chopped celery
* 1 bag frozen mixed stir-fry veggies
* 1 can cut baby corn
* cooked brown rice
1. Mix salt through garlic powder together in glass bowl.
2. Add beef strips and mix thoroughly
3. Cook in crockpot for 3 hrs on high or 6 on low
4. When that is done, remove meat from liquid and whisk in cornstarch.
5. Defrost vegetables in microwave and drain (this helps keep water from final dish)
6. Heat a wok on medium heat and stir-fry vegetables until cooked through.
7. Return beef to pan and add liquid mixture.
8. Serve over warm brown rice.
You of course could use fresh vegetables, but I’m trying to a) save money and b) make my life easier. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the vegetables turned out. Enjoy!